Decorating & Furniture/floor color & walls

we are about to re do the floors in our house, the walls have been freshly
painted a color called "vanilla milkshake" i would like to stain the floors quite
a dark chocolate tone..we plan on having a few pieces in the room that are
also a dark well as a black or espresso colored leather couch..any
thoughts...I think it will look quite get tons of light all
throughout the house if that helps?? Thanks for your help...Robin

When you mix dark (wood, flooring, furniture) with a pale wall color, you get a lot of what we call "contrast".  Remembering that the eye goes to color, the eye here is drawn back and forth and has no real color hue to rest on.  My suggestion is that if you opt for this much contrast, you at least throw in a jolt of color.  It can be red, blue, orange, green - but it should be vivid.  You can accomplish the color addition with accessories.

Thanks for writing.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology