Decorating & Furniture/floor color & walls

Question
Hello,
we are about to re do the floors in our house, the walls have been freshly
painted a color called "vanilla milkshake" i would like to stain the floors quite
a dark chocolate tone..we plan on having a few pieces in the room that are
also a dark wood..as well as a black or espresso colored leather couch..any
thoughts...I think it will look quite shiek..ps:we get tons of light all
throughout the house if that helps?? Thanks for your help...Robin

Answer
When you mix dark (wood, flooring, furniture) with a pale wall color, you get a lot of what we call "contrast".  Remembering that the eye goes to color, the eye here is drawn back and forth and has no real color hue to rest on.  My suggestion is that if you opt for this much contrast, you at least throw in a jolt of color.  It can be red, blue, orange, green - but it should be vivid.  You can accomplish the color addition with accessories.

Thanks for writing.
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik