Decorating & Furniture/floorcloths

I am interested in making my own floor cloth to go in my kitchen, in front of sink. What advise or direction can you give me regarding materials I should use and process?

Hi Glenn,

Floorcloths are great in front of the sink! You will love it.

You will need to start with a heavy weight canvas. A # 6 is really heavy and a #8 or #10 weight will also be an option.
If you don't have a local source try the "floorcloth canvas" by Fredrix that you can purchase at an art store. It comes preprimed and ready to paint.

With either choice you will need to measure and cut your canvas larger all around to accomodate the hem. The primed canvas will not shrink much if any more. Raw canvas should be stretched to prevent shrinkage or you will need to plan on it shrinking about 2 or 3 inches all around. Cut your canvas to accomodate the hem and shrinkage if you are not stretching it.

If you do start with raw canvas you will need to prime it with gesso or latex house paint. I use two coats on the front and two on the back as well.

Next you will want to add another 2 or more coats of your background color to the front. This can be either acrylic paint or latex interior. Sand lightly between coats.

At this point I hem the edges. You will need to miter the corners and glue them with a very tacky glue. Some use hot glue but I have found that white glue is my best bet for flat hems.

If your edges crack a little this is normal. Sand them lightly and touch up with a small brush.

Add your design with acrylics. Let it cure several hours to a day.

Coat with 6 layers of acrylic polyurethane varnish. Polycrylic by Minwax is a good one and easily found at the hardware or art supply store. Another good one is Right Step Varnish. After 3 coats lightly sand between coats leaving the last untouched. Depending on your preference you can choose a satin, semi-gloss or a gloss finish. You may want to add a clear bowling alley wax for added protection and flexibility.

For added durability I add 2 to 3 coats of the finish to the underside.

Some add a rubber backing to prevent slipping. I prefer a very thin pad or nothing.

Remember not to fold your rug or your will crack the finish.

Good luck on your rug.

Angie Nelson

Angie Nelson

Decorating & Furniture

Angie Nelson

I can answer questions on designing and making your own floorcloth and which areas of your home/office/work space are and are not suitable. I have used a variety of materials over the years and will recommend what I have found to be the best suitable for a lasting piece.

Past/Present clients
My clients range from manufacturer showrooms, interior designers, catalog companies and individuals from coast to coast.