Decorating & Furniture/flooring choice

Question
Hi Alicia.  Thank you for offering help through All Experts.  I am approaching the redesign of my new home.  It is a 1500 sq ft 2/2 with a sensible floor plan and big windows that overlook our land upon which we will be training western performance horses.  My husband and I have been in the horse business for a long time and I want our house to have some of the flavor of our culture yet still have the feel of a home and not a 'theme'.  I need to redo the kitchen cabinets, hopefully the bath vanities, and definitely the floor.  Also, I will have to choose paint colors.  The house was built in 2001 and has never been painted.  I am presently trying to choose a tile for the floor - I have animals and feel this is the best choice.  My quandry comes with whether or not to be 'safe' and go with a simple color tile - I found one that is textural with a moderate variation and is a taupe/biege color - or to go ahead and take a chance and go with a colorful looking tile that I found from Mohawk called 'mountain ridge' which has swirls of nature inspired colors in ambers, teals, greys, browns, etc.  I am not terribly concerned about resale down the road and I dont want to be too safe and miss a creative home, however, I also dont want to make a choice that is tacky or dated.  Thoughts?

Answer
Hello,
Sounds like a fantastic remodel!  

The tile you selected sounded interesting but I think I have another option you may like.  Why not install a porcelain tile which mimics wood planks?  Maintain the estate feel of your home with flooring that's not only easy to clean but actually looks like wood?  There are two colors I like:  dune and hickory.  The choice of flooring will assist you in making other decisions.  The kitchen cabinets should be a contrasting finish...two-colors is my favorite way to upscale a kitchen.  Use a paint with a glazed stain for antiquing and distressing for aging.   You've lots of options in this area.  Have fun and take your time in making these selections.

See the website below for the tile.  Good Luck!

http://www.daltileproducts.com/series.cfm?series=155&next=31&pg=6&rm=2

Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID

Decorating & Furniture