Decorating & Furniture/flooring

Question
I would like to put the same flooring down in my kitchen/den area, however, my problem is my kitchen butts up to original hardwood floors which have been refinished...any ideas would be appreciated.  The kitchen cabinets are painted white and my color scheme in there is black and white.  The walls in the den are a tuscon coral....that could be changed.  Right now, the colors in there are a dark coral and sage green..I would like to keep the sofa which is upholstered in sage green chenille type fabric.

Answer
Hi Marti,

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  Your best bet in matching the kitchen and den area floors is to either purchase a wood laminate floor OR a solid wood floor.  These both come in a vast array of colors and styles, so matching may take some work, but it will be worth it.  Don't worry about "exact" as there will have to be a "transition" piece (may be nothing more than a molding strip) between where one floor starts and the other stops.  This transition piece will give the eye a rest, and will "disguise" or "minimize" any color/hue differences in the two.  

The Tuscan coral sounds find with a b/w color scheme in the kitchen, so if you're happy with it, keep it.  If you're tired of it, switch to another shade of "red" like an aubergine or egglant and keep the sage.

Jenny

PS:  When you shop for wood or laminate, be sure to bring a true sample of the flooring home and "test" it for a match.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik