Decorating & Furniture/flooring

I would like to put the same flooring down in my kitchen/den area, however, my problem is my kitchen butts up to original hardwood floors which have been refinished...any ideas would be appreciated.  The kitchen cabinets are painted white and my color scheme in there is black and white.  The walls in the den are a tuscon coral....that could be changed.  Right now, the colors in there are a dark coral and sage green..I would like to keep the sofa which is upholstered in sage green chenille type fabric.

Hi Marti,

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  Your best bet in matching the kitchen and den area floors is to either purchase a wood laminate floor OR a solid wood floor.  These both come in a vast array of colors and styles, so matching may take some work, but it will be worth it.  Don't worry about "exact" as there will have to be a "transition" piece (may be nothing more than a molding strip) between where one floor starts and the other stops.  This transition piece will give the eye a rest, and will "disguise" or "minimize" any color/hue differences in the two.  

The Tuscan coral sounds find with a b/w color scheme in the kitchen, so if you're happy with it, keep it.  If you're tired of it, switch to another shade of "red" like an aubergine or egglant and keep the sage.

PS:  When you shop for wood or laminate, be sure to bring a true sample of the flooring home and "test" it for a match.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology