Decorating & Furniture/furnishing family room

Question
My family room is about 14x20 with a northern exposure window area. The wood is stained a medium color. There is a fireplace. The floor is a light taupe burber carpet to the brown color and it was just painted navajo white. We purchased a leather sofa and matching chair in a brandy color leather, they have a lighter, more golden wood accent in the foot and going down the front of the arm. We also have a maple color 44" pub table and 2 chairs on order to place in the corner for extra seating. I'm looking for a pub type feeling. I purchased RL fabric in a tan and black plaid with a cranberry thread running through it to make tab top drapes, a tartan cranberry red and black plaid to make two throw pillows, a black with a floral medallion for 1 pillow and a paisley that reads the same as the leather to recover a chair. My question is: the room is very contrasty, I have a wall that could be a different color or I was thinking of an area rug to help soften the contrast of leather to carpet/walls. Also, I thought I'd buy a glass coffee table to open the area and maybe that would add light without "weight"? I saw a very colorful wool rug I was thinking of, it too leans toward medium tones. Help!

Answer
Hi Jean

It does sound like there is quite a bit going on in this room with a mixture of colour, texture and pattern.

Painting one wall a different colour might be good if you feel there is a colour that is common to most things that would tie it all together - perhaps a deep red?

I agree that a glass table would be good as it wouldn't introduce another colour or pattern into the mix but I would be a little wary of the rug.

Getting several rugs might be nice if you can get them without pattern but in some of your featured colours - deep red, black, tan etc.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything else that has a pattern but using the colours that you already have but in a plain way (one-colour toss pillows for example) will tone it all down slightly but still give you the cosy, pub feel you are aiming for.

Kind regards,

Andrea

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston