Decorating & Furniture/furnishing family room

My family room is about 14x20 with a northern exposure window area. The wood is stained a medium color. There is a fireplace. The floor is a light taupe burber carpet to the brown color and it was just painted navajo white. We purchased a leather sofa and matching chair in a brandy color leather, they have a lighter, more golden wood accent in the foot and going down the front of the arm. We also have a maple color 44" pub table and 2 chairs on order to place in the corner for extra seating. I'm looking for a pub type feeling. I purchased RL fabric in a tan and black plaid with a cranberry thread running through it to make tab top drapes, a tartan cranberry red and black plaid to make two throw pillows, a black with a floral medallion for 1 pillow and a paisley that reads the same as the leather to recover a chair. My question is: the room is very contrasty, I have a wall that could be a different color or I was thinking of an area rug to help soften the contrast of leather to carpet/walls. Also, I thought I'd buy a glass coffee table to open the area and maybe that would add light without "weight"? I saw a very colorful wool rug I was thinking of, it too leans toward medium tones. Help!

Hi Jean

It does sound like there is quite a bit going on in this room with a mixture of colour, texture and pattern.

Painting one wall a different colour might be good if you feel there is a colour that is common to most things that would tie it all together - perhaps a deep red?

I agree that a glass table would be good as it wouldn't introduce another colour or pattern into the mix but I would be a little wary of the rug.

Getting several rugs might be nice if you can get them without pattern but in some of your featured colours - deep red, black, tan etc.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything else that has a pattern but using the colours that you already have but in a plain way (one-colour toss pillows for example) will tone it all down slightly but still give you the cosy, pub feel you are aiming for.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit