Decorating & Furniture/furniture

what points would you cosider when choosing a sofa for a living room to go with an existing scheme/2 chairs?

Thanks for the question.  When purchasing a high ticket item like a sofa, I always recommend going with a neutral color and fabric.  Regardless of the existing theme of the space, the couch can have throw pillows added to it to incorporate the theme.  My other recommendation is to consider the "use" for the furniture before deciding on style.  If you plan to entertain in that space, and seating is an important factor, you may consider a sectional sofa OR a sofa and love seat combination.  I'd advise that you NOT try to match 2 existing chairs, but rather coordinate the couch fabric and style with what you already have.

Neutral doesn't mean beige or white, but it does mean avoiding large prints, flowers, stripes etc.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology