Decorating & Furniture/furniture arrangement

Question
I can't believe we puchased another home with a long rectangular living room, but we did. lol  I am having difficulty making sense of furniture arranging in there. When you come in my front door and turn to your right, you enter the living room.  It runs the length of the house, and has sliding glass doors on the far wall. The fireplace is directly in the middle.  About a foot down from the fireplace on the opposite wall, is an entry to the eat in area to the kitchen, which has a half wall on the right side of the opening.  Hope this makes sense.  I would like to buy new furniture for the living room and have it arranged maybe around the fireplace.  Right now I have my couch across from the fireplace (not directly because of the opening to the kitchen) and a love seat that the back of faces the sliding glass doors. It seems to not flow well at all.  We also have an entertainment center, curio, coffee table and two end tables in there. It almost seems that the center is filled but the outer parts are wasted space.  There is also a huge cut out above the fireplace for a tv that we don't use for a tv.  Any idea's what to do with that?  When I buy new furniture, the entertainment center will not go back in.  There are tv's in many other rooms so this is no big deal.  I would love a chaise lounge, but where to put it?  Thanks for any help you can give me, I'm sure this has been confusing, sorry!  Kim McCune  

Answer
Two options:  A "U" shaped arrangement(everything facing the fireplace and each other) or try creating an "L" shaped arrangement with the open area facing the window.  As for filling in other space, create a separate seating area with two comfy chairs and a small table in front of the entertainment center.  Adding a chaise lounge near the window along with a small stool (to hold one's drink and book) and a floor lamp sounds lovely as well.  You may also want to add a couch table behind the sofa for some storage and to house a couple of ottomans.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik