Decorating & Furniture/furniture color

we are in the process of downsizing and moving to an over 55 community.
The dining room and living room are one "great room".  The living room furnishings we have chosen are a deep red sofa with ottoman, 2 chairs in a creamy earth tone and a brightly colored momeni area rug. The entertainment center is a medium colored wood as are the tables and one chest in the room.
The question I have relates to the dining room.  I recently spray laquered 6 dining room chairs in black at the suggestion of a decorator.  The dining room table and buffet are a very dark brown burled wood and I do not like the combination of the black chairs with the wood.  We are now thinking of keeping the chairs (I can reupholster the seats myself) and buying a black table and a buffet with a glass doored hutch. I am afraid that all the black on one side of the room will make the space look off balance.  How can we incorporate the black chairs ( which I love) with a table and buffet other than black or will the all black look ok.
I thought that maybe the seat covers newly upholstered, a runner on the table and the items we put in the glass hutch will brighted up that area. Also, we will have a very large brightly colored painting on the wall at the end of the dining room table.
Don't know which way to go, please help.
Thanks so much.

I can certainly understand your concern about too much black weighting one side of the space more than the other.  One of the things you should consider is a wrought iron or similar base and a glass top to use as a table.  Glass pieces can be purchased separately at window/glass replacement stores and come in either octagonal, square or round sizes.  

If you use a glass topped table, you "visually" take up less space -- and add less weight -- than using a solid top.  You could then use a black buffet or a dark mahogany server.  

If you like Asian stying, consider a hutch/buffet in black lacquer with an oriental red incorporated. Visit for some inspiration.

PS:  Balance your weight in the great room.  By adding a piece or two of black to the "living" side of the room, you will create harmony, balance and anchor the space.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology