Decorating & Furniture/furniture placement for a family room

Hello, I am in the process of moving into my first home. The family room is 10ft wide by 20ft in length. There is a gas fire place with a mantle in the middle of the wall in the room. You can look into the family room from the kitchen as there is a half wall. How do I place furniture in the room, what do I do, do I get just a sofa and loveseat, and do a seperate sitting area at the other end of the room. There is also a large window with venetial blinds all the way to the floor, I'm thinking of replacing it with shutters instead.

Please help,

Hi Wendy,

Congrats on getting a new home.  Orient your furniture "facing" the fireplace.  It's a natural focal point.  

You do not have to put furniture up against walls.  Furniture that "floats" in a room is a very appealing look, and depending on whether or not you want two sitting areas, you can orient the furniture closer or further away from the fireplace.  It's really up to what you want the function of the room to be.  

If you opt for a cozier look, use a couch and two chairs with the chairs at 90 degree angles to the sofa.  Add a console table behind the sofa for a lamp, books etc.  and then create a second seating area with just a couple of chairs facing one another behind the (back of) the couch.  Those, coupled with a table or ottoman between will serve as extra seating and a slightly different place to sit and read, play cards, or chat.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology