Decorating & Furniture/furniture in front of windows

Question
I am a college student and just bought a mobile home. The living room has two windows on opposite sides of the room, one full wall without windows, and one half wall on the side the kitchen is next to. My problem is that I think I am going to have to put my entertainment center on a wall that has a window in it, and I've always thought that putting furniture in front of a window is very unattractive (unless its something short like a chest). This means my couch will be up against the other window, which I don't really like either... but the only other option is to put it in front of the half wall that the living room shares with the kitchen. (I hope this all makes sense to you the way I am describing it!) Any tips on which would look less tacky, and the best way to go about dressing the window if you have to put a big piece of furniture in front of it? Or links to any decorating sites that have pics of how to do it? Thanks!
Ashley

Answer
Hi Ashley,

Congratulations on the purchase of your new mobile home!  It is exciting to buy your first home.  

If you have to put your entertainment center in front of a window, I would put a horizontal blind (keeping it closed) or a cellular shade to cover the window so you don't see the back of the furniture from the outside of the home.  If you put the sofa on the half wall, and the entertainment center on the full wall, would that help your problem?  If you can do that, I would suggest that as opposed to blocking the lite from the windows.  Even if the sofa extends past the half wall, that can be ok, if it is not too big.

I hope this helps answer your questions/

Best of luck to you,
Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ
908-684-3900
www.juliesinteriordesigns.com

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry