Decorating & Furniture/grey in a bedroom

Hi Ms. Wojcik

I have a small bedroom which i would like to paint in an interesting way.  I was hoping to use two tones in painting the room and i wanted to use those two tones to divide the room vertically in an almost 1/3 to 2/3 split (mabye 1/4 3/4).  The smaller portion i was going to paint a dark grey the larger portion a light grey.

questions:  Any suggestions on which greys i should use (id like to room to feel cool and modern overall)?  Any questions on spliting the room vertically?  I thoguht that the darker grey would serve as an anchor inthe room on which i could place lighter colored elments.  

also the window seals are stained a rich brown.

Im worried about the the room being too grey and too boring. But i could put other vribrant colors on top of the greys (i hope) to give the room a little more punch and energy.  Can't I?

please help.

My best suggestion to you is to pair a violet/purple with a gray, rather than a gray on gray.  This color will enliven the gray and eliminate any hint of boredom.  Your 2/3 v 1/3 split is fine as long as you do it horizontally rather than vertically, AND if you want a very modern look.  If you're after homey and comfy, you're in the wrong ball park.  

If you insist on using gray and gray, accents should be stark white and red, or some combination of same.  An anchor for any room is black, and that can be achieved with an accessory as simple as a candlestick or as large as a leather chair.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology