Decorating & Furniture/grey sofa, love seat and paint color

We just bought a new tw house and bought a small grey (fabric)sectional and I'm not sure what color love seat we should get and what wall color the living room should be. Please advise... We want the living room to look warm,simple, elegant and modern. Thank you!

ANSWER: Hi Vivi,

Thank you for writing and congratulations on your new home!  As you already have a sectional, I don't know that I would purchase a loveseat... Too much 'big' stuff... to break up the sectional, I would opt for two great chairs.  The style chair would totally depend on the kind of sofa you purchased.  If the sofa has a skirt, I would purchase chairs with 'legs' and fully upholstered.  If your sofa has 'legs', I would purchase two chairs that have a skirt... otherwise you can look too "see Siemens first!"  In other words, too matchy matchy is not cool.

There are many fabrics that are great with grey.  A few things to consider, is your fabric a solid??  A stripe??  A pattern??  That will help determine the look.  If you want a more modern look, you will want to stick with a stripe or solid.  Simple, clean, elegant lines are created by not having 'fru fru'... no florals or big trims.

As for colors, red is a great contrast to the grey, so is black, or... even a variety of blues.  With regard to the walls, it depends on the height of the ceilings, what is on the floor, how much lighting is in the room, etc.  If you would like to get back to me with additional information, I would be happy to help you in whatever way I can.  

Best of luck to you,
Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ

Thank you so much for your great advice. To follow-up with my previous question, the sectional is 7 x 7 ft. and its low and has really clean lines, the fabric is dark grey with pattern that is almost like tiny flannel/tweed? with short silver legs. Do you think 2 white clean chairs would be ok? We are also planning to have cherry hardwood floors.. In terms of the paint color, i had 3 colors in mind (neutral grey, warm beige, or light blue) please let me know if any of these colors will be ok or if you suggest a different color. Overall, I want the room to feel cozy and sophisticated. Thanks so much!

What a totally sophisticated room you are going to have!!  White chairs would be awesome... As for the cherry hardwood floors... are they Brazilian Cherry?  Or are you staining another wood cherry?  Dark cherry or light cherry?  Different woods will take stains very differently.  As for the paint.. Neutral grey can be great, but can easily become a little too cool.  I would NOT do beige, that would confuse the look you are going for.  Light blue could be awesome, but a blue that has a grey cast to it (many of today's popular new blues have a fair amount of grey in them) and can provide a stunning look.  HOWEVER, in my opinion, if you paint the light/pale blue, you must have SOME of this color elsewhere in the room (ie. pillows on the sofa, small area rug, etc.)

It sounds like you are on your way to having an awesome home!!
Best of luck to you,
Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry

In the past 22 years, I have assisted countless residential (and some commercial) clients in the design and decorating of their homes. Within reason, I can assist on ANY question for the interior of your home. From design of a new home or addition, to layout, color, truly custom window treatments or just accessorizing... as our brochure says... from ceiling to floor, windows to walls and EVERYTHING in between... if it is for the Interior of your home, call Julie's Interior Designs. Well... you don't have to call, just write and ask!

With twenty two years of experience, 18 of them self employed with a large showroom/retail store and great staff on my team, there is little I/we haven't encountered. For several years I enjoyed being the on air "Home Editor" of the local cable station and have written a column in several local newspapers for years. Taught Interior Design at the college level. My work has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers. This is the greatest job on earth, and not nearly as easy at it looks...

William Paterson College, NJ, Ramapo College NJ, Continuing Education with trade periodicals, etc.

Multiple for custom window treatments, best local business in our county (located in northwestern NJ,) best home furnishing store in our county, etc.