Decorating & Furniture/guest room

I have a very small bedroom I want to decorate for use as a guest room and also for grand kids when they come, which is often.  I am going to get new carpet and paint. What colors and painting methods make a room look larger?  

Stay with a neutral shade of your favorite color.  (There is a neutral for every color.)  As for painting methods, the overall space appears larger when you continue the wall color up onto the ceiling.  That way, your eye does not stop between wall and ceiling.  I've found that medium to dark shades tend to visually recede the walls too.  

Consider something as simple as "wheat" or "Khaki" (taupe - Glidden's Toasty Grey) or something as daring as medium shade of your favorite color.  Treat the walls the same throughout the space, and if you opt to paint your ceiling something other than white, use either your wall color or a "toned" down shade of your wall color.  

Carpet - be neutral.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology