Decorating & Furniture/Is hanging drapes/panels in this area a decorating mistake?

If anyone could help me I would so appreciate it. I have always loved the look of drapes that surround the enterance to a dining room, or living room. I have seen pics of this in some magazines, like pottery barn, but not a lot of people do this. We have an old home (1910) and lots of wood trim so I want to warm it up by hanging drapes on either side where the living room opens into the dining room. Is this considered acceptable?

Hi Julie,

Thanks for writing.  Not only is it acceptable, it is the only way people in the era of 1910 divided their spaces. Since the woodwork is probably precious, I'd opt for as little hardware for the draperies as possible.  If you find tension rods that work, that would be preferable.  There are also some great rods put out by Kirsch that "swing" in and out.  That would allow you to flank each column without closing off the room.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology