Decorating & Furniture/hardwood floors and cabinets

Question
Hi!  We're building a new home, and trying to decide on the wood for our cabinets and for our hardwood flooring.  We're planning an open design - 12x19 kitchen into the living room only separated by a peninsula, with the hardwood flooring throughout.  We're considering the different types of woods - and wondering if it's okay to have a hardwood such as alder or maple for the cabinets with its tighter grain, mixed with an oak flooring with its open grain.  Also, when chosing the wood trims - do you recommend to use the same wood as the floor, or as the cabinets?  Will this be too much wood?  Any comments, and suggestions are very much appreciated!! (I'm terrible at decorating!)

Answer
Thanks for writing.  You're not terible at decorating.  If you were, you wouldn't even know what to ask!!!  The tightness of the grain really doesn't matter when selecting woods.  You want them to coordinate, but they do not have to be the same.  As for the trims - I'd opt for a painted trim with all the wood that's planned.  It will give a very fresh look to the space and give the eye an opportunity to rest.  

If you opt to stain the trims, make sure they're the same throughout the house.  And, if made to choose, I'd choose the flooring wood as opposed to the cabinets.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik