Decorating & Furniture/help!

The room I'm trying to decorate is my den. Right now it's an African room. My sister went to Africa and brought me back some pretty pieces. I like the look but I'm not sure what I want to do. I've been dealing with old furniture-dark blue. I bought some black shelves and entertainment center. I believe it's contemporary. Now, I'm getting ready to buy a new sofa set. I thought I would buy distressed brown leather but I've never heard of brown and black going together. Is it possible? My walls are cream and my rug is cream-a little bit browner but light. Right now I have a cheetah patterned curtains and area rug. My truly favorite style of decorating is contemporary. I wouldn't mind going that way. I just hate wasting all the Africa stuff that I have. Should I buy black leather, or brown? I don't want the room to look shiny and unlivable. We use this room the most. I love the distressed leather. I just don't know what to do!
Thank you,

You've answered your own question by telling me you love the distressed leather.  Get it.  Black and brown are very "smart" colors when used together in a room.  If you're more contemporary and want those walls to stay cream, then you need to pull the cream to the floor by way of a room-sized rug.  You can use a few pieces of the African artifacts in a contemporary room.  If there's more than you feel necessary, use them in a different room in the house, i.e., an adjacent bath or powder room.  

Hope this helps you.  Remember -- contemporary means "less is more" and sleek, clean lines.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology