Decorating & Furniture/home pub decor

Question
Hi!  I am theming a room in my house like that of an English pub.  I will even have a wooden canopy bar in it soon.  I want to convey the theme, yet not be overwhelming or tacky.  The room is 10'X 15', and is painted a very tasteful chocolate brown (home's previous owners had a lot of nice custom paint work done).  The room is rectangular, with one side completely open to the rest of the house.  There are white Florida blinds already installed on the one window present there; one specific point I need addressed is the use of drapes/curtains--double curtain rods are already in place.  What can you suggest that will convey "English pub" to those who visit, yet won't look too over-the-top?  Thanks for your help.

Answer
For the pub look, invest in some metal signs and/or posters of lagers and ales.  You'll invariably find these at flea markets and some discounters like Target.  I would remove the white blinds and use Wood Shutters (special order item from your home improvement store).  Eliminate the curtain rods.  "Lighten" up the space with up lights, track lights and even sconces for the walls.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik