Decorating & Furniture/interior decorating

i have just moved in,renting a one-bedroom,furnished apartment that has magnolia walls throughout.i will probably live here for 2-3 years and i am not allowed to decorate,but i want to make the place feel more like home. so could u please tell me that how can i use soft furnishing to create a style in the bed room and the sitting room with dining area.please help me out .i really need some ones advice.i would be very thankful to u.
take care
love ...

Hello Sameera,
I have some good news for you. Even if you are not allowed to decorate there are a lot of things you can do to make the apartment a home.

First, take a look at the furniture, the carpets, pictures on the walls and curtains. Do you like them? If not they are easy to remove, store somewhere and then put back in place when you move out of the apartment.

If you do like the furniture - the better. Even with someone others furniture you can make the apartment your home.

I suggest you stand in the middle of the room. Take a good look around and ask yourself “what style would I like to have?”

A modern and sleek look is achieved by choosing long white curtains without any frills or patterns. Put a white throw on the sofa. Combine this with white cushions, a white bedspread and preferably a white carpet. If you are allowed to hang pictures on the wall I suggest you take some big frames and cover them with canvas in rather bright colours, like a very modern piece of art. It is important that the canvas is just one colour or a big, bold pattern.

A more eclectic look on the other hand is achieved by putting up red patterned curtains. Sari fabric is really good to create that luxurious oriental-Indian feeling. Saris make excellent bed spreads to by the way. You then systematically look for rich dark red cushions, carpets and so on.

The idea is, as I am sure you have noticed by now to decide upon a theme and go from there. By keeping to a theme the room gets a more designed look instead of giving the feeling that it is a place where you live temporarily.

Best of luck!

Decorating & Furniture

Linn Arvidsson

Do you want to know how you can green your every day life without giving up style or quality? I can help you with your questions. I will answer any questions you might have on how to make your home healthier and more ecologically sound. It may range from how houseplants can clean indoor air to natural materials in furniture and fabrics; from window sill gardening to natural air fresheners. I do not claim to have all the answers right away, but I do know where to find them.

Experience in the area
University degree in environmental issues. Eight years of professional experience as an environmental coordinator and adviser.