Decorating & Furniture/interior decorating


i have recently stripped the wallpaper from our lounge. under the paper, the plaster is sound. my problem is, there is paint under the paper. some of the paint has come off with the paper and some hasnt, leaving an uneven surface. is there any way of removing the paint without having to skim or plaster the walls as we are on a tight budget. we initially tried sanding the paint but this was unsuccessful. any ideas would be gratefully recieved

My first thought was sanding.  Since that didn't work, I'd opt for a "stain blocker" as an undercoat, and then paint overtop.  The most popular stain blocker is a product called KILZ.  It comes in both oil and water bases.  It will literally cover anything, blocking it from "reappearing" with new paint.

Apply the KILZ (Benz is another such product) according to package instructions, allow it to thoroughly dry, then apply paint (or whatever treatment including more paper) over the top.


Decorating & Furniture

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jennifer Taylor Wojcik


Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.


College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology

©2017 All rights reserved.