Decorating & Furniture/interior paint

Question
I own a house in Santa Barbara, California. I am fixing it up for resale and I want to know what colors to paint the inside as well as the outside to make it most resaleable.  It is an expensive house located where only the rich can buy it so that is the type of potential buyer I am looking at. What are the current popular colors all rooms of a house (including cealing) and the exterior (with trim).
Thank you

Answer
Debbie,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Paint trends are all over the place this year, but having said that, you probably want to select a nice, basic neutral color (not to be confused with white or off-white, but rather a pure shade of a color) for your home's interior.  One of the safest things you can do is to create an overall monochromatic color scheme; carpets, walls, ceilings all shades of the same color.  One of the best colors for general appeal is taupe - not a pinkish shade, but a warm sand color.  One of my favorites is called Toasty Grey by Glidden.  It's available at Home Depot, and is a terrific neutral.

I would paint ceilings and walls the same in this case.  Keep the trim inside the house consistent; either all painted or all stained.  Exterior - take a cue from your neighborhood.  Pale yellow is welcoming (check out Glidden's Chiffon) and again, taupe is a great neutral.  With pale yellow, pair it with either white, or a cool shade like blue (dark navy).  With the taupe, trim it in white and accent the exterior in black.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik