Decorating & Furniture/kitchen blending into family room

view from kitchen into family room
view from kitchen into  
imagine a lg room, seperated by an extended breakfast bar (balck granite top, light oak cabinets), 1/2 on one side of the bar is the kitchen painted a deep merlot red, the other 1/2 ?? We have decided on some sort of version of olive green. How to incorporate the green in the family room 1/2 into the kitchen 1/2 (blend)? in the kitchen is a entry door from the garage and a laundry room door (trim perhaps in green?) and there is a hallway entry with 2 bedrooms doors and 2 closset doors w/bifolds. Ok so the big questiosn is where to use what color on trim, doors, hallway?

I would not recommend using anything other than white on your trim (doors, facings etc.) but would recommend that you incorporate the green on the walls.  Since the merlot red is so rich (it's beautiful by the way) you'll be very pleased with a shade of green next to it.  

I'd opt for the family room walls to be green, and if necessary, continue it into the kitchen (opposite the wall in the photo).  The hallway can be done in either the merlot OR the green.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology