Decorating & Furniture/kitchen counter top

We're re- doing our kitchen - new paint, trim, floor, curtains, etc. The problem is the sink countertop. It's in good condition, the laminate doesn't match the new colors.
Is there a way to tile over it, paint over it, or ? without having to replace it?

You can do either, with varying results.  Tiling over the existing countertop will be a more "permanent" fix than paint, but it can be painted as well.  To achieve best results with paint, sand, clean, prime (with Kilz or Benz)and then paint the surface.  After allowing an overnight drying time, cover the laminate with several coats of polyeurthane (6-7 coats).  Even after all this, avoid using sharp utensils on the surface.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology