Decorating & Furniture/kitchen cupboards

Question
My husband has finished re-finished our kitchen cupboards and has varnished them with a Diamond varnish.They look great but we have ceramic cook top next to the pantry cupboard and when I was cooking I noticed that the varnish was cooking as well. It bubbled up and pealed away. Is there any special type of varnish that we should be using next to the stove that is heat tolerant??? This never happened when the old varnish and stain was there before.

Answer
There are many stains and varnishes available that resist heat absorption, but you must check with the supplier of the varnish and stain.  Read the labels, and if you're not sure, ask someone in the home improvement store or paint store where you shop.  What you will have to do is strip the old completely before refinishing with the new, heat-resistant product.  

Jenny

Ann,

I'm sorry you thought my answer was unacceptable.  If you wanted a particular brand name, my recommendation would be Minwax.  Every single manufacturer of stains and varnish make heat-tolerant products.  Each manufacturer also make products that will not hold up next to a heat source.  That's why I encouraged you to visit your local retailer, read the labels or get some help on a face to face basis.  

Sorry your experience was not great.  I take great pride in the volunteer work I do for All Experts.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik