Decorating & Furniture/kitchen floors

I have chosen natural oak kitchen cabinets with dark bronze hardware and Pionite "smoke granite" laminate countertops. It's an open floor plan with an eat-in dinette. The pool enters the dinette area through double french doors. Shoudl I use solid hardwood, engineered hardwood? If so, should I try to match the cabinets or not? Or should I use porcelain tile? If so, what color?

Your kitchen sounds great looking!  As for your dinette area, you can use either wood, laminate or tile.  Since the pool traffic heads that direction, you may prefer to use either a laminate (comes in wood or tile surfaces) which does not stand up to "standing" water, but does ok with drips; or tile.  Tile stands up to anything and is easy to clean.  

If you opt for wood or wood laminate and it's in the same area, I'd probably suggest matching the cabinets.  If you opt for tile, use a neutral color like a taupe or brown to coordinate.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology