Decorating & Furniture/kitchen paint color

Question
I'm all over the place trying to determine a kitchen paint color.  Currently the majority of the new house is a neutral beige and I am ready for a change in the kitchen.  The one wall surrounding the range is limestone and the kitchen opens to the living room so the only true wall areas to paint will be surrounding the cabinets and a few columns.  The wood cabinets are a dark brown and the countertops and island are black granite.  The floor is a slate tile green.  The connecting breakfast area is newly painted pumpkin butter.  So something to complement all this and I was thinking nothing too dark since the cabinets and counters are, does that make sense?  Any advice/color suggestions will be appreciated!

Answer
Yes, it all makes sense to me.  My inclination is to recommend that you consider using a shade of green for the walls behind the cabinets.  Take a color cue from the slate floor, and also balance the "hue" (depth of color) of the paint from your pumpkin butter hue.  In other words, if pumpkin butter is the middle shade on a color swatch, then choose a middle shade of green from the green color swatch.  I'm thinking sagey or maybe a bit toward celery (although that's a lighter green.)  

The complement here is that pumpkin butter is in the red family and the color opposite (a great combination anytime) is green.  

Hope this helps you decide.  If I've confused you with the "hue" value, write me back.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik