Decorating & Furniture/kitchen surfaces renovation

Hi Jenny.  once again i have a dilemma of sorts!  We are changing all surfaces in our 30 year old house.. I love mexican tile for the kitchen floor and also want to use an engineerd stone (granite look alike) with the tile.  preferably a black with gold specks maybe brown and black.. my kitchen cabinets are going to be painted old world with the cream base and amber glaze.  my paint on the wall is undecided..although i am leaning toward a greenish yellow. plus we have all stainless appliances ordered.  the family room next to the kitchen is heart pine 6 inch plank flooring.  do you think the granite tops are too dressy for the mexican tile?  i love it but not sure exactly if i am on right track.. thank you so much for your answer.  chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  I'm fine with the engineered stone.  It sounds similar to the Silestone I've seen recently.  What I'm not crazy about is using a greenish yellow shade for the walls.  

What I'd recommend instead is that you consider either using a warm soft yellow (check out Chiffon by Glidden) - it's buttery, but not bold/dark and will enhance everything else in the space - or go with a true medium shade of sage green - more earthy.  

Your other option is a yummy shade of taupe called Toasty Grey by Glidden.  It's a great neutral.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology