Decorating & Furniture/kitchen surfaces renovation

Question
Hi Jenny.  once again i have a dilemma of sorts!  We are changing all surfaces in our 30 year old house.. I love mexican tile for the kitchen floor and also want to use an engineerd stone (granite look alike) with the tile.  preferably a black with gold specks maybe brown and black.. my kitchen cabinets are going to be painted old world with the cream base and amber glaze.  my paint on the wall is undecided..although i am leaning toward a greenish yellow. plus we have all stainless appliances ordered.  the family room next to the kitchen is heart pine 6 inch plank flooring.  do you think the granite tops are too dressy for the mexican tile?  i love it but not sure exactly if i am on right track.. thank you so much for your answer.  chris

Answer
Hi Chris,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  I'm fine with the engineered stone.  It sounds similar to the Silestone I've seen recently.  What I'm not crazy about is using a greenish yellow shade for the walls.  

What I'd recommend instead is that you consider either using a warm soft yellow (check out Chiffon by Glidden) - it's buttery, but not bold/dark and will enhance everything else in the space - or go with a true medium shade of sage green - more earthy.  

Your other option is a yummy shade of taupe called Toasty Grey by Glidden.  It's a great neutral.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik