Decorating & Furniture/kitchen wall color

Question
Hello and thank you for taking time to read this.  My kitchen has golden oak cabinets, light gray laminate counters with an oak border around the counters to match the cabinets.  All appliances are white.  My floor tile is 12" squares that are white with a few gray veins and gray grout.  I have some really pretty crown with dental moldings in there , although it doesn't show up now because my walls are white.  Window treatments are done in Waverly's Montague Midnight.  I have see-sawed back and forth with colors e.g. burgundy, shortbread, sage, hunter green and I end up saying forget it, leave it white.  Can you offer some suggestions?  I really would appreciate your thoughts.

Answer
Thanks for writing and for your question.  The easy answer here is paint those walls!  Select your favorite color - it's probably one you've mentioned - and paint.  Here is some color information that may help you.  Since your cabinets are golden oak, they have a golden cast to them.  Anything in the "red" family, from pink to purple goes well with members of the yellow (gold) family.  The same is true for blues.  

Greens will work well as long as they are not "yellow-greens" (that would look too same).  Actually, sage would be great as long as the sage is a true green and doesn't have a lot of yellow in it.  Hunter is nice, but looks a bit dated.  I'd rather see you use something in the sage or celery area of the greens.  

Burgandy is in the red family -- and we talked about that earlier.  Burgandy again is a somewhat dated color; if you opt for burgandy, select one that leans toward cranberry.  

Here's hoping I have not made this worse for you.  Bottom line is -- if it were my kitchen, I'd opt for cranberry, sage or celery.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik