Decorating & Furniture/kitchen wall color

my husband and i are purchasing an exsisting home. the kichen countertops are green in color. applanices are white with black accents such as stove front and black microwave. dishwasher and fridge is white as is stove. my question is...what color would be best on the walls as they are now white? floor is small pattern with a hint of green also. but that will be changed in the future. countertop and cabintets are only six years old....cabinets are oak with brass knobs. any suggestions? thank you. Corlene

Hello Corlene,
My first question would be to ask:  does the kitchen open to the living area?  Is there a theme or color scheme already established with existing furnishings?  

Your home, especially the public areas should flow from one room to another, even if there is a connecting door. My advice is to select a shade (a neutral) such as a khaki cream or a creamy beige and use it to frame the cabinetry and highlight the green counters.  You can then add accessories, pictures and other items to bring in the colors from the living room.

This neutral palette should be a color that may be in a fabric, window treatment, pillows that you've placed in the living area.  Take a look at the details of your furnishings and select that perfect shade and tone.

Good luck!
Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied ASID

Decorating & Furniture

Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID

Whole house interior space planning and decorating; kitchen layout, and design trends; residential themed environments; selecting furnishings and accessories for your lifestyle.

12 years experience as an interior designer, FIDER graduate and business owner for 5 years. Speciality area: residential interior designer, NKBA certified kitchen designer, and home office designer

Homes of Color magazine, Las Vegas Life magazine, Tucson Home and Garden magazine.

B.A. Interior Design, Marymount University, Arlington, VA