Decorating & Furniture/leather furniture

I have chocolate brown leather furniture in my living room. The dining room is connected to this room. The walls are now eggshell in color. I would like to change this color on the walls and add an accent wall. The furniture in the dining area are also dark in color. What could I paint my walls and the accent wall to make both rooms look elegant.  

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Rather than simply suggest a paint color, let me suggest a mood or two, and then you make the final color choice.  First of all, if your tastes run toward traditional your preference will probably be a warmer color scheme; if you prefer modern or contemporary styling you'll opt for a cooler palette.  Either can look "elegant" and that depends more on the styling and accessories you add after the paint color.  

Traditional styling works well with a butterscotch shade of yellow/orange or even taupe. A contemporary or modern approach to the room suggests a pale baby blue or pale green like celedon.  

If you're opting to paint an accent wall, then make it a darker shade of the color you use on the rest of the space.  And since the rooms connect, make both rooms the same color + your accent wall.  You can add that accent color via accessories in the adjacent room(s).  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology