Decorating & Furniture/licensing for an interior decorator

I have been working interior decorating jobs on the side for a few months now, mostly as favors for friends. Now I would like to start making money at this. I know enough to make a buisness out of it, but I do not have a license. I do not want to become an interior designer and I have seen many articles on 6 month courses to become an interior decorator but I would like to start now. I am wondering how do I start working as an interior decorator without taking a course? Is there a state license or county license I need? I want everything to be legal before I have any paying clients. Any info would be apreciated thanks so much.

Rules and regulations vary by state and municipality, so you must check with licensing bureaus in your area.  There is no "Interior Decorator" license that I'm aware of.  Virtually anyone can call themselves an interior decorator, it's interior designers who have to be credentialled to be known as such and have professional memberships in national affiliations.

Best of luck and Regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology