Decorating & Furniture/lighting for a corner with a sectional couch

We have a brand new sectional couch in the NE corner of our 12' x 21' living room.  Putting it in knocked out any tables to put lamps on.  We need to light this area.  Recessed lighting is out of our budget.  I have considered a swag lamp, but they all seem either dated or corney.  Wall sconces might make it look like a lobby.  There are floor lamps which sit in the small space in the corner and suspend lights over the couch, but I worry that the concept is too modern for our traditional style living room.  The best idea I've come up with is hiding puck-lights in a cornice above the windows and have them pointing up to the cieling and down toward the couch.  Do you have any other ideas?  Also, do you have any suggestions about paint color?  The room is small and dark.  The paint is currently light green on the walls and cieling.  I intend to paint the cieling white and have been considering purple, rose or indigo for the walls for a dramatic look.
Thanks, -Pam

Paint Color
Paint Color  
In the picture it looks as if you might be able to fit two side tables with a table lamp on each side and I think if you can do this it will look the best with your style. Another idea I have is to use picture lights above the windows. Here is a link to one that might look nice. This would definitely be a different look but I think could work if you are looking for down lighting. I think that a rosey lavendar color (the color of the scarf in the picture you sent over) would look beautiful and make the space more lively. Here is a mock up to give you an idea of what it would look like.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book