Decorating & Furniture/living room

I have a split level home and am at a lose with my living room.
You walk in my front door and you are on the main floor living room dinning room kitchen. to the left of the front door you enter the living room it is 24x14 and the kitchen is straight from the door, the dinning room L's off the far end if the living room basicly a big square. I have a huge window on the same wall as the door the dinning room has a large enterance across from the window. so I have only one large wall. I have no clue how to put my furniter. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kathy

Questions about arranging furniture are always hard to answer without being able to see the space or knowing exactly what furniture you have.

Would you like a few general pointers?

You say you only have one big wall and I bet you know already which piece of furniture will have to go against it.  You are bound to have something large that looks a real mess from the back - often it is a TV entertainment centre with lots of wires sticking out the back.

Your sofa/s are more than likely going to have to be facing your TV so your options will be limited there too.

Don't feel you need to line everything up against the walls - it is perfectly acceptable to have furniture elsewhere in a room and in fact you can position a sofa away from the wall if it creates a passageway for people to walk between it and the wall as they move from one room to another.

You can also use a piece of furniture as a divider.  I used to have a large bookcase that had no backboard and I used this to separate a room in two - an office area and a seating area.  Because the shelves were quite deep, I could have different books visible on each side.

It becomes irritating after a while if you can't move from room to room via the shortest route so try to ensure that you don't put any furniture in your path.

Bear in mind though that you can move things around and there is no reason why you can't try a layout and change it a few days later if it doesn't work for you.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit