Decorating & Furniture/living room

I hope you can help. I have just bought my first house with my boyfriend and
we are have little idea about interior design. So far we have two brown leather
settees. We want to have a dining table and chairs in the room as well but we
are unsure on what colour wood would be best (also for other items of
furniture), I feel that to much dark brown is going to look wrong. The second
issue we cant agree on a colour so far we have looked at light blue and a light  
orange sort of colour. The room is of medium size and has two windows but I
wouldn't describe it as a light room.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Hi Kathryn

There is a particular combination of blue-y aqua, brown and cream that I really like.

It is like the third rug down on this page:

Based on what you have told me I would suggest you go with your instict of avoiding dark brown wood and go with a much lighter wood finish.  

A warm but pale blue would be good and if you are still unsure then I would suggest you have one blue wall (perhaps the wall you face the most where you have a fireplace or your TV) and paint the remaining walls cream.

How do you feel about pattern?

If your carpet, curtains etc. are plain it might be nice to add a bit of pattern with a wall panel:

and/or some cushion covers:

There are lots of fabrics you could choose from that would bring all your colours together but here are some suggestions:

The only important thing really with the fabric is that the pattern brings all your colours together in one.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit