Decorating & Furniture/living room colors

Question
I am entirely not in the know about combining colors however I do know that I like clean and simple, maybe almost a mission style of furniture. My living room is about 19 ft. x 13 ft. with lots of windows. I living in an apartment, so I can't change the brown carpet. I am shopping for a sofa and need some window treatment and will also eventually paint. My coffee and side tables have medium brown wood top with simple iron legs. I would like the room to have a relaxing tone as it is where we spend most of our time. I think blues and greens would be nice. However, like I said, I don't really know how to combine or place colors. This is really holding me back on buying any window treatments and furniture as I mentioned earlier. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Answer
Since your carpet is brown, you can easily use either a pale to medium shade of icy  blue OR a celery to sagey green.  I'd actually use three colors - the brown which you already have, and either the blue or the green (your favorite) and add khaki to the mix.  This combo will be calming, soft and relaxing.  

Thanks for the question!
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik