Decorating & Furniture/living room colors

I am entirely not in the know about combining colors however I do know that I like clean and simple, maybe almost a mission style of furniture. My living room is about 19 ft. x 13 ft. with lots of windows. I living in an apartment, so I can't change the brown carpet. I am shopping for a sofa and need some window treatment and will also eventually paint. My coffee and side tables have medium brown wood top with simple iron legs. I would like the room to have a relaxing tone as it is where we spend most of our time. I think blues and greens would be nice. However, like I said, I don't really know how to combine or place colors. This is really holding me back on buying any window treatments and furniture as I mentioned earlier. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Since your carpet is brown, you can easily use either a pale to medium shade of icy  blue OR a celery to sagey green.  I'd actually use three colors - the brown which you already have, and either the blue or the green (your favorite) and add khaki to the mix.  This combo will be calming, soft and relaxing.  

Thanks for the question!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology