Decorating & Furniture/living room and kitchen connected

Question
my kitchen/dining room and living room are all connected or open to each other.  in my living room, i have mossy green furniture and in my kitchen/dining room i have oak cabinets and gray contertop.  i have a great collection of red cookie jars and have them displayed in the kitchen.  i am painting over a medium paneling (which i hate).  my question is what color can i paint to blend with all of this and make the rooms look bigger?

Answer
Tabitha,

Thank you for taking the time to write with your question.  Ok.... here's the thing:  when you are working with oak, AND with gray (such as your counters over your base cabinets,) it is very easy for the coloring to all go to a cool graying tone.  This can appear very modern or unwelcome.  HOWEVER... you have wisely added a moss green in your furniture which definitely helps to warm up the space.  

If you choose two different color paints, you can really pack some punch into the room.  For instance, on the walls where you have the oak cabinets, you can paint the walls either a wonderfully soft green, OR a ruddy brick red to warm AND richen the feel of the room.  As you have a collection of red cookie jars, you will probably have these placed either on your counters or on top of your cabinets.  This is the reason I suggest the same green that is in your furniture.

You may choose another accent wall to paint a bricky red color OR you may choose to bring in a soft warm beige.  Be careful not to have undertones of gray or pink in those beiges.

Just one thing... remember, it is a misnomer that putting color on the walls will make a space smaller.  In fact, it will oftentimes make a room appear larger, as the color gives the eye a place to 'land on' pulling your eye further into the room as opposed to just bouncing off of 'builders- beige' on all walls.

Here is one more thing you can try to help you visualize what the room can look like with the different colors you are considering.  If you go to www.benjaminmoore.com you can get a personal on line consultation for just a few dollars, OR you can go to the 'homeowner, personal color viewer page' for some exciting options.  This feature allows you to see your own room in different color paints!  You simply digitally photograph your room, and download it on your computer.  Follow the directions to transfer the image to the Benjamin Moore site, and then 'view' your very own room in different colors from their collection.  This is a GREAT tool in helping you make final selections on color!

Best of luck to you!  Thank you for writing.

Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ
908-684-3900
www.juliesinteriordesigns.com

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry