Decorating & Furniture/living room & kitchen/dining

I am going to purchase a new living room set & kitchen set in the next week.  These rooms are separated by an archway.  The living room is 14x20 with four windows, two on the front wall of the house ( north and a colonial style house).  On the east wall there are two more windows separated by a wall where we hope to put a fireplace one day.  The south wall has no windows.  The west wall has a doorway at the north corner and the archway is down at the south corner (about 5 feet wide).  The kitchen runs along the back of the house and is in two parts, one side is the cabinets, stove, island etc. and the other side is for dining area which is about 12x15.  There are two windows on the south side of the room, the east side has the archway to the living room and then an opening to a small hall.  The north wall has no windows and the west of this area meets with the cabinet/island area.
I am concerned about the wood tones of the cabinets (darkish oak) matching the dining set and the coffee table & end tables.  Do they have to match?  I prefer earth tones. The living room is carpeted in beige and the dining area has linoleum.  Not enough money at this time to put in hardwood floors but hopefully in the future.  Every bit of furniture will be new (I have nothing worth saving).  We use the living room to watch TV.  Please help with furniture arrangement also.

Dear Ann,
  I don't think that the cabinets have to match the wood furniture but I would get wood furniture that will be darker or lighter instead of having it look like you tried to match the colors.

If you would like a complete design of your space then check out

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book