Decorating & Furniture/living room

my living room ceiling has beams that slant down making one wall
long and the shortest wall, where the beams end has a fireplace.  
What can I do with the long wall, and how can I accent the beams?  
My furniture is classic.  I have sleek brownish natureal leather
furniture (because the room is small).  My fireplace is natural brick
color with earth tone porcelain tile w/accent tile around it.  I have
carpet that is a goldish/amber to tie the colors together.

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  To accent the beams, you need to distinguish them with color.  If the beams are wooden, stain them....if they're covered with drywall or plaster, paint them a color different than the wall color.  

(I'm hoping your walls aren't white, but if they are, they should be painted.  Small room or not, white walls create too much contrast between brick, earth tone porceline and gold or amber carpet.)  

If nothing else, try to add some of your gold tones to the walls.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology