Decorating & Furniture/livingroom decor

Question
I have a home built in 1927, my livingroom has natural dark walnut woodwork, a brick fireplace and hardwood floors, I had planned on painting the walls gold and going with greens, burgundy and gold furniture and accents, my husband purchased a navy blue leather sofa. I was thinking of a fabric pattern chair with a splash of blue.

I am wondering what wall color and color of area rug I should use.
Also color of window coverings,
Any suggestions would be helpful, I am not much of a decorator.

Thank you  

Answer
Actually, gold or pale yellow is a great wall color to coordinate with the navy blue.  Adding additional blue to the mix is a good idea as well.  If you don't want to make it a chair, you could always cross-pollinate the color by adding a navy cushion/throw pillow to a chair.  

If you're adding an area rug, make sure it has all the colors you are using in the room. Window coverings should most likely be a solid color, and I'd lean toward navy.  You can add some softness in with white sheers underneath navy draperies.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik