Decorating & Furniture/livingroom decor

I have a home built in 1927, my livingroom has natural dark walnut woodwork, a brick fireplace and hardwood floors, I had planned on painting the walls gold and going with greens, burgundy and gold furniture and accents, my husband purchased a navy blue leather sofa. I was thinking of a fabric pattern chair with a splash of blue.

I am wondering what wall color and color of area rug I should use.
Also color of window coverings,
Any suggestions would be helpful, I am not much of a decorator.

Thank you  

Actually, gold or pale yellow is a great wall color to coordinate with the navy blue.  Adding additional blue to the mix is a good idea as well.  If you don't want to make it a chair, you could always cross-pollinate the color by adding a navy cushion/throw pillow to a chair.  

If you're adding an area rug, make sure it has all the colors you are using in the room. Window coverings should most likely be a solid color, and I'd lean toward navy.  You can add some softness in with white sheers underneath navy draperies.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology