Decorating & Furniture/can you mix woods and styles in a great room

Question
We bought an entertainment center and dining room furniture in the same style and color of wood, a red cherry. Had to send dining room furniture back. Now I can't match the wood in the entertainment center or the style. Is there a way to mix styles and woods in one room? Are there any pictures on the web that I can look at.  

Answer
Mixing is the name of the game in most homes.  Having all one wood just doesn't happen normally, so don't worry about your differences between rooms, even in a great room situation.  

The key to coordination is to use color.  If you use navy in the living room paired with taupe and cranberry, then use another combination of those same colors in the adjoining room.  The eye goes to color first.

Spend some time on www.hgtv.com looking at their designer rooms/shows and how-to's.  Also visit www.bhg.com (Better Homes and Gardens).  Pick up any decor magazine in the grocery check-out and if you'll flip through you'll see that woods are mixed successfully all the time.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik