Decorating & Furniture/mixing different woods in close proximity

Question
Hi Jenny,

I am building a house and need some advice about the kitchen.  There are a lot of cabinets in the very spacious kitchen, and in between the two sections of cabinets is a full size pantry with an oak door.  The oak trim and door is set, but I need to decide what wood to use for the cabinets.  Should I stick with oak since the pantry door is in the middle of the cabinets and is oak?  Or would it be ok to go with maple or cherry cabinets.
Thanks for your help!
Amy

Answer
Hi Amy,

You can certainly mix woods.  Just make sure that the contrast in color isn't "huge".  For instance, I wouldn't recommend going dark with maple or cherry -- stay on the lighter, warmer side so that the color isn't that different from the oak.  

Jenny

PS:  You may want to take a look at what's called "natural maple" and "natural cherry".  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik