Decorating & Furniture/mixing fabrics

I have chosen a chenille fabric for my sofa and two club chairs for our family room.It is a beautiful shade of "spring green"..not a dense, cushy chenille, but flat with a raised small braided diamond design.The area rug is two shades of green and aqua. I would like to have very colorful throw pillows, maybe floral or plaid, and also use one of these fabrics for an occasional chair which is also in the seating area. Would it be right to use a linen or heavy cotton on a chenille piece? I am concerened about the "weight" of these fabrics...would it be out of balance? Thank-you for considering this. Linda

The short answer is use whatever fabric that appeals to you.  Fabrics in upholstery do not have to be the same, but rather should differ to include a variety of textures as well as color and pattern.

You were very smart to purchase those expensive items in neutral fabrics.  Now you can make a design statement with inexpensive, easy to replace (when your mood changes) accessory pieces!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology