Decorating & Furniture/mixing patterns

What is the rule of thumb on mixing patterns? I have a burgendy/gold swirl patterned sofa&love seat, and am trying to coordinate an area rug to put in front of them.I am trying to achieve vintage style.Also would you go with black&white artwork above a very dramatic sofa or not.I would appreciate your suggestions.

A rule for mixing patterns is to make sure the pieces have all of the same colors in them, then to mix flowers/florals with plaids and plaids with stripes.  In your case, look for an area rug in burgandy/gold in either flowers, stripes or plaid.

Black and white artwork looks best with dramatic furnishings.  Just don't mix B/W art with color in the same room.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology