Decorating & Furniture/mixing patterns

Question
I have a large sofa & loveseat burgendy/red in color, with gold swirls.It has dark wood trim surrounding the bottom and large wood arms very heavy feel to it.I would say although it is new it has an antique feel to it.I would like your advice on a choice for an area rug to use in front of them.My issue is that the furniture is so colorful and has a large pattern to it that,can I mix patterns? if so whats the rule of thumb?I am decorating with a napa valley vineyard theme.I would like to stay away from a solid color if possible.I tend to want to go with a plum/grape or black.Because rugs are so pricey I"m hesitant to just go for it.I would appriciate your help.Also I was thinking of black and white artwork directly above the sofa,instead of something colorful.What suggestions would you have?   Thanks, C.K

Answer
Dear C.K.,
  To answer your question, yes you can mix patterns especially when its a rug. If the fabrics have some kind of commonality then it can work in the room. Since you want to incorporate a napa valley vineyard look then I would choose a rug that has a curvilinear pattern with red and deep purple in it. I think you can continue the look by puuting up artwork of vineyards that have red and/or deep purple in them. I have designed a room that might be similar to yours with the items suggested above. Please copy and paste this link to your browser to see image.
http://rmdecor.tripod.com/ck.html

I hope this helps on deciding what rug to use.  

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID