Decorating & Furniture/mixing wood furniture

I have a large room that is a light to medium gray color with a fairly dark rich wood floor and white trim... I need to add bookshelves, a desk and either a comfy chair or a small table/chair set.  

I'm totally torn between going with white furniture or a rich stain.

A big question I have is if I go with white shelving is having a chocolate brown leather chair totally out?  

I've seen built-in shelving done in white mixed with all kinds of decor styles... is it possible to pull that off with white shelving that isn't built in?  

Hi Jen,

The answer is.... Yes, it is possible... then again, ANYTHING is possible!  But, the other part of the answer is: it depends on a WHOLE lot of other things.  In order to give you a more definitive and educated  (read: experienced) answer, I need more information.

What type of area do you live in?  Urban or Rural?  What is the size of your room?  How many and how large are your windows?  What is the upholstery on your other furniture?  Fabric?  Color?  Texture??  These may sound like extraneous questions, but they truly contribute to the answer.  Also... your lifestyle/functionality fall into play.  Are you a younger gal?  Kids?  What kind of wear and tear?  If you give some more information to go on, I can give you a more definitive answer.

In any event... it sounds like you have a very sophisticated palet to start with... so many directions possible.  I hope you write back with more info!

You may want to consider hiring a local interior designer or decorator to come in for a one time color consult.  This person could then see, and therefore factor in all of the variables as listed above and give you amore specific answer.

Thank you for writing.

Best of luck to you,
Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry

In the past 22 years, I have assisted countless residential (and some commercial) clients in the design and decorating of their homes. Within reason, I can assist on ANY question for the interior of your home. From design of a new home or addition, to layout, color, truly custom window treatments or just accessorizing... as our brochure says... from ceiling to floor, windows to walls and EVERYTHING in between... if it is for the Interior of your home, call Julie's Interior Designs. Well... you don't have to call, just write and ask!

With twenty two years of experience, 18 of them self employed with a large showroom/retail store and great staff on my team, there is little I/we haven't encountered. For several years I enjoyed being the on air "Home Editor" of the local cable station and have written a column in several local newspapers for years. Taught Interior Design at the college level. My work has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers. This is the greatest job on earth, and not nearly as easy at it looks...

William Paterson College, NJ, Ramapo College NJ, Continuing Education with trade periodicals, etc.

Multiple for custom window treatments, best local business in our county (located in northwestern NJ,) best home furnishing store in our county, etc.