Decorating & Furniture/natural colors

I was wondering if you could guide me as to what colors to look at for my office space.

I am trying to convey a natural enviorment, comfortable, very relaxing, yet showing that we are very successful.   We will be redecorating several offices, a lunch area that we would like to be somewhat modern (maybe like a coffe shop) and a small lobby (lobby is now very English looking with lots of dark cherry wood, this can be changed).  We are a small natural remedies company on a limited budget (meaning we can afford paint and some furniture).

We are finding it very difficult in choosing colors that define those stated properties.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Chris Batterman

Thanks for your questions.  Because of the kind of work you do, and the image you want to portray, use warm colors.  Here are a few suggestions.  Lobby area should be warm and inviting (first impressions) so think in terms of camel browns, taupe, etc.  You can either paint the woodwork glossy white or keep it stained in the dark cherry.  Add to that neutral furnishings (solid colors are preferable or something with a pin-stripe), greenery and invest in some specialty lighting such as "up lights" for the floor corners, shining on your greenery etc.  You'll also want wood/glass tables and at least one lamp for the lobby area.  Some artwork of natural settings will add to the first impression.  

In other office areas look at shades of greens; dark and pale sage; celery; crisp white trim; neutral carpeting throughout.  

In the lunch area, keep the green but add splashes of red tones such as cranberry, cherry, brights - no pastels.  

Keeping your color palette in the taupe, green and accents of cranberry red will do the job for you - using all natural color tones.  

Best regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology