Decorating & Furniture/new house with lots of oak

My husband and I have just bought our first house, so we are new at decorating. The house has golden oak hardwood floors in the kitchen, dining, and living room.  The cabinets in the kitchen are also a golden oak (maybe a shade darker than the floors.)  We are trying to decide how to decorate the dining room and kitchen (which flow together).  We do not have a table yet, and will be ripping a red checkerboad wallpaper off the walls.  We have always liked cherry dining room furniture, but didn't know if it would look strange next to the oak kitchen cabinets.  But then, I am also thinking that an oak table would be too much oak.  As far as the walls, I was thinking about something in blue and/or yellow.  My dinnerware is white porcelain with a royal blue stripe around the edge - so I thought about incorporating that into the decor.

In the living room, all we have is a beige microsuede couch and loveseat, and a light oak coffee table and entertainment center.  Any sugesstions for adding some color?  Should we tie in the same colors that we use in the kitchen/dining room?

Thanks for your questions.  I think you have enough oak!  Your house sounds like mine!  Incorporating the cherry is fine.  It's wood, and while it's a different color wood, it will add some much needed contrast.  

I love the idea of using the blue as a jumping off point for the walls.  Blue is very popular right now, and there are some wonderful soothing paint colors available.  I wouldn't suggest royal blue, but a lighter shade - maybe a "grey-blue" would be terrific.  Once you paint, you could incorporate that same blue into your living area with accents and pillows.  

Add some chocolate brown into the mix in the living area.  It will be great with the blue and the beige microsuede.  While it does not have to "match" from room to room, having a positive flow is always much more pleasing to the eye.  

You may even want to toss in a stroke of lime green or a jolt of cranberry red for some extra punch.

My best,

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology