Decorating & Furniture/paint

Question
We recently bought a home with a nice size "A" frame living room.  Of course it has a high ceiling with the upper portion done in beautiful knotty pine.  However, the lower portion of the walls are, well....they are painted in a hideous fusia color.  This looks so totally mismatched that it's hard to even walk in the room.  I'd like to make this room cozy and charming at the same time.  I'm not a great decorating person per se, so I'd really like some ideas for a paint color for the lower walls and furniture types.  Thank you so much for any input you can offer.
Stacy

Answer
Hi Stacy,

Thanks for writing.  Stay with a warm neutral to play off the ceiling.  My best suggestion is to find something similar in color hue to the ceiling, i.e., probably in the range of a golden yellow to a camel shade of brown.  

As for furniture types, you can use most anything in your A-Frame.  Upholstered pieces will help absorb sound, and rather than be "matchy" with the wood tables (although you can if you want) I'd probably opt for glass and chrome for a contemporary look or wood tables topped with glass for a more traditional look.

Depending on what your floor is, you may want to incorporate a room-sized rug as an "anchor" for your furnishings.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik