Decorating & Furniture/paint choice

Question
Our home is 150 yrs, victorian brick.  Colors are ivory wainscoat throughout w/accents merlot, sage and gold.  The room in question is guestroom office  10' x 12' with an additional nook 5 x 6' which houses an ivory antique desk.  The color of the new carpet is medium sage...almost a neutral as the room is rather dark until late afternoon. On the 12' wall is the new sofa, called "antique".  Colors: cream background with muted roses and leaves.  The sofa looks out onto  the 2nd story deck from the room's only window.  The window is very tall. My question is: Can I paint the wall benind the sofa a deep accent color such as plum or in the deep red family?  The wainscoating is antique ivory.  If so, what color would you suggest I paint the remaining walls? Thank you!!!

Answer
Most certainly - and I would stay in the deep plum/aubergine family.  It will be a beautiful accent wall.  The remaining walls can be done in either a medium to light sagey green (anything from celery to sage) with great results.  If you want something more neutral, opt for taupe.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik