Decorating & Furniture/paint color

Question
Dear JoAnne, I just bought a flat wall color for my livingroom which I am turning into a library. Color is a deep terracotta/rust and I painted a swatch on the wall & now I think it should be a little lighter. Can something be added to paint to lighten a few shades? It is a Benjamin Moore, & the trim which is a Linen White is also BM, Pearl. Floors are walnut. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Margaret

Answer
Hi Margaret, One thing I might suggest is to use a glaze with the linen paint on top of the paint you already have.  Use a slightly damp brush with a very small amount of paint and brush it on in a X pattern.  Then using a soft terrycloth towel, pat it and swish it to make a very soft translucent look over the paint color.  It softens and yet keeps your original color.  Practice first on poster board or foam core board to get the technique you want.  Mix the glaze with 1 part glaze and 3 parts paint.  Hopee this helps, JoAnne Lenart-Weary www.oneddaydecorating.com  

Decorating & Furniture

JoAnne Lenart-Weary