Decorating & Furniture/paint paneling

The walls of my house are all paneled ala 1979.
Can I paint the panel directly or give it a white-washed look without having to do a lot of sanding, etc. first?

You can paint paneling, but I would try a small section first and see how it turns out. Use rubber gloves and apply TSP tri sodium phospate to wall, and then use liquid sandpaper, which will act as a deglosser. I used a paint pad and latex eggshell paint on the paneling I painted. Apply 2 coats of paint, and your paneling should look fabulous.  

Decorating & Furniture

Karen Timpone-Hockley

I am a kitchen expert on, Bob and I answer questions on kitchen design, cabinet construction, countertops and their applications, wallpapering and paint questions. I am proficient in kitchen design, wallpapering, painting, and general decorating. You can find me on by going to advice and resources, message boards, and experts. I answer questions on the message boards and you can view my answers there.

I was a decorator and then became a kitchen designer. I was instrumental in opening 3 Lowe's kitchen departments, in St. Louis, Ohio, and Pa. and designed kitchens for Home Depot. In 2003, I gave a tool-time for women seminar, seminar at the Pa. Home Builder's Show on designing kitchens, and tv spots on home repair. I am now designing and opening a Kitchen Showroom for Kohl Building Products in Mechanicsburg, Pa. R>
Publications article on painting kitchen cabinets